Friday, November 28, 2008

Twas The Day After Thanksgiving

I hereby dub myself insane! Yes, I am one of the many that went to combat at Wal-Mart this morning in the name of saving money. I arose out of my warm comfy bed at 3:20 this morning, got my shower, dressed, and made coffee by 4:10. My friend Chrissy whom I dub more insane than me pulled in my drive way at precisely 4:20. I grabbed my purse, my list, my sale paper, and her a cup of coffee, and here I went: to war! I have only gone shopping on Friday morning after Thanksgiving one time in 23 years of marriage, and this morning about 4:45, I remembered why. There were people coming from every direction and I could plainly see the look of a definite mission and determination in their eyes. I don't believe I was as gung ho over checking off my list as they were. There were buggies and people to my left, to my right, to my rear, and in front of me. We were hip to hip and shoulder to shoulder! My list consisted of 6 gifts; I came home with 3. Why, you ask? Well, while I was in line waiting for my turn at one of the gifts, three of the other items sold out! I did accomplish marking off 3 people, so I guess that counts for something, right? Chrissy had way tooo much fun. I wasn't grouchy or anything, but I just wasn't quite as chipper and excited as she was. She would go do it again tomorrow. Me: I have a plan now. January 1, 2009, I will start saving all my change and by December, 2009, I will have enough change to roll to make up for the savings of shopping the day after Thanksgiving. Now, if you are like Chrissy, and that is your idea of excitement and fun; more power to you, but come next year, this ole gal will be home in her nice warm bed until at least daylight, and then, need be, you can find me on-line or on the phone placing my orders while I sip my coffee and sit around in my robe. There were some pleasant-peaceful moments this morning: I didn't have to wait in line at the check out counter, I saved around $75 dollars in all, and the best part is I was with my friend. Oh, and breakfast at Huddle House wasn't too bad either! Happy day after Thanksgiving! How 'bout a turkey sandwich?

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Leisa.
About 5 years ago I did the same thing. I just wanted to have that "Black Friday" experience! Once was enough for me, too! Bumper to bumper shopping carts and crazed folks on a mission "ain't" my idea of fun! I did do some shopping tonite-went about 5-9, no crowds, very pleasant and I got most of the bargins I was shopping for!