Monday, October 6, 2008

My Ma-Maw Claudie











I thought about my grandmother (mothers mother) alot yesterday. If she were still alive, she would have been 98 yesterday. I would always take her a dressed hamburger and a vanilla milk shake on her birthday. She loved that! She lived beside my mother and daddy. I miss her very much. She was a go-getter! I wish I had just a taste of the spunk she had. I don't know that she ever tired of working and keeping busy. She was alot of fun too. She'd say something humorous, and then say, "I was just guying you." She could outshoot any man; rode my horse when she was in her 7o's, slept with a pistol under her pillow, did some kind of dance up until the last few years of her life. The dance started out on all 4's , I'll have to ask my mother about that. I wore red to her funeral. I spoke at her funeral, telling about all the things she had told me through the years. Sometimes, she'd say in a loud voice, "Whoopie, diddle."
I told the people that I could just see her right after her eyes closed in death, entering heaven,
with a loud shout, "WHOOPIE DIDDLE, I'M HOME!" I know all of Heaven knew she was there! She was a hoot, thats for sure.
Pictures above: 1. My mother, Elwanda, Ma Claudie, Mothers sister, Laverne, and Mothers brother, Dexter 2. Ma Claudie with Cale & Noelle 3. Ma Claudie with the snakes she killed in one afternoon (2 were 6 1/2 feet long, 1 was 5 1/2 feet long) The snakes were trying to lay hold on her hens! 4. Ma Claudie and Pa-Pa Breatis

3 comments:

Becky said...

What a neat woman! I bet she brought graet joy to those around her!
A pistol? Wow!-She was spunky! : )

Anonymous said...

Aww, I'm sorry, but what a sweet memory you have of her!

Thanks for visiting!

lori said...

Hello there! I'm stopping by to say hello and to let you know that I will try and post those recipes...:)
I try and always have one REALLY GOOD one on the sidebar...:)

Peace to you...what a neat lady you were blessed to have in your life....

Thank you for stopping by...it's nice to "meetcha!"

peace,
lori