Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Angels, Godliness, & Words

Scot taught on Angels tonight at church.
I enjoyed the study very much. The verses he gave us were so encouraging and uplifting.
Just to think that God gives angels charge over us. There's no tellings how many times we are kept from harm by God putting an angel between us and the danger. In Daniel, God sent an angel to shut the lions mouth. Wow!
We talked about the angels Michael and Gabriel, seraphims, & cherubs. He said angels are sent as messengers and guardians. The angels mentioned in the Bible are masculine form.
Other verses used:
Gen. 16:7, I Cor. 15:39, Ps. 148:1-2, 5,
Zech. 1:9, Matt. 1:20 and 24, Matt. 2:13 and 19,
Ps. 91:11, Dan. 8:16, Dan. 9:21,
Dan. 10:13 and 21, Dan. 12:1, I Thes. 4:16, Jude 9,
Jude 6, Is. 6:1-3 and 6, Ezek. 1:5, Ps. 34:7, Dan. 6:22, Heb. 13:2, Matt. 25:34



*************************************************

I've been reading A Woman's High Calling by Elizabeth George. Today, I read about Godly speech and personal discipline.
How to follow our calling to godliness:
(from pages 18-22)
1. Pray- Prayer will most definately affect our behavior.
2. Purpose- to be more aware of God's presence.
3. Praise the Lord
4. And Praise Him some more
5. Pick a point of meditation
6. Prize-your high calling to reverent behavior.
7. Plan-to act in ways that attract attention to the Lord rather than to yourself.
8. Ponder- your behavior and your choices, for by them you tell on yourself.

You Tell on Yourself
You tell on yourself by the friends you seek,
By the very manner in which you speak,
By the way you employ your leisure time,
By the use you make of dollar and dime.
You tell what you are by the things you wear,
By the spirit in which your burdens bear,
By the kind of things at which you laugh,
By the records you play on the phonograph,
You tell what you are by the way you walk,
By the things of which you delight to talk,
By the manner in which you bear defeat,
By so simple a thing as how you eat.
By the books you choose from the well-filled shelf:
In these ways and more, you tell on yourself.
*****************************************************
A note from me:
May I tell you that it DOES matter what we say and how we say it? Words cut far worse than a knife. Words can either make or ruin someones day. Words can lift or tear down. Words can encourage or discourage. It's our choice! God does not make us speak goodness and kindness; it pleases Him when we do though. I myself am going to make a point and a matter of prayer to work on my tongue and my Words! I want to be an encourager, a good day maker, a lifter-upper. ( I made up that word) I want to spread sunshine all around, not slander and hurt.
Pray for me as I work on this and other Godly traits. And pray for me that I will handle peoples Words with a heart that over-looks and forgives quickly.

No comments: