Friday, March 13, 2009

Ham & Rice Soup

How's the weather in your neck of the woods? It's rainy and cold here in Mississippi once again. I had enjoyed the spring like weather earlier in the week, but BRRRR, it's cold again! I'm not complaining though; got the fire going and the coffee on, so all is well. I'm sharing a recipe with you that my mother in law shared with me a few months ago. This soup is very hearty and filling. Hope you enjoy some on a cold day, or a warm day!

Ham & Rice Soup
1 6 ounce wild rice (I use Uncle Ben's)
1 small onion
2 TB. margarine
1/2 cup flour
3 cans chicken broth
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup milk
1 pkg. diced or cubed ham
water chestnuts, (sliced fine)
Cook rice.
In separate pot, melt butter, saute' chopped onion. Add flour, slowly add broth, stirring continuously, bring to boil. Slowly add milk, salt, and pepper. Stir in ham, rice, and chestnuts.
Simmer 30 minutes. Enjoy! This is very good left over.

1 comment:

Roan said...

This sounds so yummy! I plan to make it soon!