Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Potato Candy

Don't knock it 'til you try it! My great aunt came by one morning and offered me some candy. It looked good and as I was reaching to get a piece, I asked her what kind of candy it was. When she replied potato candy, I almost took my hand back without a piece. I didn't want to hurt my aunts feelings, so I went ahead and took a piece of the candy that she seemed so pleased with. She watched me as I took a bite. I probably had a surprised look in my eyes as I tasted, and she smiled. I got the recipe from her and I make it in her memory usually at Christmas or at special gatherings.
Potato Candy
1 small red potato, boiled in jacket
1 box confectioner sugar
peanut butter
Boil sm. potato until very tender. Remove jacket. Mash potato with fork. Add sugar a little at a time, keep mashing with fork. This mixture will end up very stiff. Sprinkle wax paper with conf. sugar. Put potato-sugar mix. on the paper and roll out like you would cookie dough. After it's rolled out evenly, spread peanut butter on it. Roll up like a jelly roll, then cut in pieces.
This is simple, but very rich and delish! Enjoy.

8 comments:

Tori Leslie said...

I've heard about this stuff before, and it sounds dangerously fattning.

BTW, somehow I lost the e-mail you sent me and wanted to respond. I'm sorry you couldn't send the Pam but I totally understand and don't worry about sending money just the thought alone was wonderful. Thank you for being such a blessing and so giving.
{{{HUGS}}}

Lois Christensen said...

I think I've heard about this candy before. A little unusual, but if it has peanut butter in it, it has to be good!!!

Liesa said...

IT REALLY IS GOOD, PEOPLE NEVER GUESS HOW EASY IT IS, CAUSE IT'S SOOO RICH AND DELISH. AND YES, IT IS DANGEROUSLY FATTENING!!!

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

I guess I'll have to wait until next Christmas to try this! Maybe by then I will have lost enough weight to be able to eat some of it! ha ha It really does sound yummy!

Marilyn

GraceFromHim said...

Yes, I have had these before....they are so good! A good friend of mine made some and let's just say, I was "shocked" when I asked her the recipe, lol

BECKY said...

How fun!! I have never heard of this but must make it for Emily and Maddy!!

Hope you're having a good week, friend!!

I'm doing better, God is so very good and just shows me His great love for me constantly.

Blessings,
Becky

Caleb said...

My mother used to make Potato Candy every year at Christmas and I have continued the tradition. The kids and I usually fix goody boxes for several people in the community and the Potato Candy has always been a bit hit. My Daddy always says "That's one candy where a little dab will do ya!"

Johnny said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please tell Brother Scott that we would love to stop by when we are on furlough.